Caffeine is a fickle mistress. Sometimes you become immune to her charms, and the love you once felt for each other has turned into nothing more than frustration and a rapid heartbeat that has nothing to do with affection. So, while staring at my computer one day in a fit of desperation, this coffee syrup was born.
This simple syrup comes with a kick that’s almost guaranteed to wake you up. The spice blend is proven by science* to get your metabolism going and kickstart your day. Add it to your morning coffee (drink recipe here), and enjoy the pleasure of a day spent fully awake.
Wake Up Call Coffee Syrup
A not-so-simple simple syrup to add a kick to your morning coffee.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. fresh ginger, diced
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- Stir together sugars and water in a small saucepan.
- Place over low heat, stirring occasionally, until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, and red pepper. Stir.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, remove from heat.
- Let sit for 2-3 hours, longer for a stronger flavor. (I accidentally let mine sit overnight. Oops. Still turned out well.)
- Strain out spices and store in an air-tight container. (I used an old Torani syrup bottle.)
- Enjoy your new, fully awake outlook on life.
*And by science I mean a few websites I found on the first page of a google search. I personally think it works, but even if it doesn’t, it still tastes delicious.